45 Simple Things I Love About Life
Forty-five days from now, I will turn 45.
It feels like I’m standing in the middle of a bridge. I look one way and I see my youth. I look the other way and I see my older years ahead. The only way to go is toward the older years. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, I’m going to be a person who will forever be young at heart.
I’m at a point in my life where lessons have become wisdom. Scars have become stories. Accomplishments have become tiny victories. My children have become adults. Some wounds have healed; others are a work in progress. Obstacles have been celebrated for what they really were. What it all comes down to is LOVE.
In celebration of the end of 44, I made a list of 45 things I love about life. Your list will be different than mine. We all love different things. I wanted to share it because some of the things on this list are so simple that I could do them everyday if I wanted! Some of the things on this list I’ve loved my entire life or love with my whole heart. It goes without saying that family & friends make the LOVE list so I didn’t include them here. In no particular order, 45 things I love, make my heart sing, make me smile or make me want to get out of bed every day.
- Snail Mail – happy mail is a forgotten art filled with love
- Wishing on Stars – I believe wishes do come true
- Sunset Chasing
- Campfires with friends who share soul to soul
- Going to the movies alone – my guilty pleasure
- Building Snowmen
- Jumping in puddles
- Climbing trees
- Outdoor swimming pools, especially at sunrise
- Listening to the waves
- Making memories – not waiting for someone else to do it for me but doing it for myself
- Planning & organizing – I’m pretty sure I came out of the womb doing this!
- Quiet morning moments
- The Spirit of Christmas
- Bare toes on the earth
- “Just Because” flowers
- The glow of candlelight
- Mountains – their stillness, strength and power.
- Tiny Homes & spaces
- Forests – and the 5 senses they dance with
- The smell after the rain
- Possibilities, endless possibilities
- Eating off the pretty dishes without company because I deserve the pretty dishes, too!
- The little details. There is so much meaning in the little details. They make my heart sing.
- Sacred yeses & the soul excitement that come with them
- Honouring a no when my heart feels a no
- Permission to slow down
- Enjoying the simple things
- Alone time
- Soul chats
- Practicing gratitude
- Sunshine on my face
- Shaved legs & clean sheets
- Helping others
- Tender hearts
- Acts of Kindness
- Seeing the best in each other
- Letting go of stuff
- Baby steps in the right direction
- Documenting life with photos
- Our marriage
- Adventures – even the tiny ones make me smile!
- Celebrating even the tough stuff that I’ve come through.
- Myself. This one is a hard one to put on this list. I’ve spent the majority of my life trying to figure out who I am. I am many things. At this point in my life I can say (and believe) that I am Me! And, THAT is enough. I didn’t always believe I was enough. I’ve gone down some paths that helped me to understand myself better but also allowed me to discover who I was not. I’m still learning and growing and changing as I learn new things and new ways of being. I love that I have tried!
After 45 years of living on the planet I know for sure that there will be bright shiny days and there will be dark days. There will be dancing around the kitchen and crying into my pillow. There will be too much time and not enough time. There will be love and there will be sorrow. There will be enough and not enough. There will be lessons to be learned and lessons to be taught. And I know for sure, that the sun will always rise on a new day and set at the end of a long day. No matter what. I get to choose how I will show up to each new day, each new moment.
I’m showing up to 45 with open arms, an open heart and a youthful spring in my step. I’m also showing up with a whole lotta love! xo